Have you ever had one of those chocolate oranges? You know, those absolutely divine chocolates shaped like oranges? Everyone secretly wishes for one in her Christmas stocking. In case you don’t know what I’m talking about, get educated! (But don’t buy any, because I’m not sure if they’re dairy-free or not.)
Anyway, I’ve been planning a trip down dairy-free chocolate orange lane for quite a while… I just didn’t know how to get there. After further internet investigation, brainstorming with my marathon-runner roommate and stalking around grocery store isles, I found the perfect combination for my orange chocolate craving.
Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
- 1 box of devil’s food cake (I’m a cheater, I know.)
- 2/3 cup oil (or amount asked for on box)
- 3 eggs (or amount asked for on box)
- orange juice (amount of water asked for on box)
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange extract
- 1 large can of dairy-free white frosting
- 2 tbsp orange extract
- red and yellow food coloring
- 24 dried apricots
- 2 tsp chocolate powder
- dairy-free chocolate chips (I use the Trader Joe’s brand.)
These cupcakes are quite simple. It goes as following:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix all cake ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Pour cake mix into cupcake papers.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool, fool!
- Mix all the icing ingredients together gently.
- Apply icing to cooled cupcakes and decorate.
I’m a total cheater when it comes to cupcake making. I know it and you know it. But you know what? It’s easy, affordable, and extremely delicious. There, you know my secret. You’re going to have to keep it. No one else can see this. And it goes like…